“We have a task force that’s continually looking at new opportunities to open up the economy so in every step that we take, we have new guidance documents [which are] reviewed by myself and the folks at the department of public health,” New Hampshire Governor Chris Sununu said on “Fox & Friends Weekend” on Sunday, one day before restaurants there are allowed to restart outdoor dining.
As of Sunday, New Hampshire reported 3,556 coronavirus cases and 171 deaths, according to data compiled by Fox News.
“I had one of the strongest economies in the country, and then two months later, I’m at 15-percent unemployment managing a stay-at-home order in a 'live free or die’ state,” Sununu said.
"As a former owner of hotels and restaurants myself, I get it, especially in the tourism industry... the one area where we’re having the most trouble opening," Sununu continued.
Sununu said the PPP “put a couple billion dollars in here, frankly, for a lot of businesses.”
However, he added, “There’s a lot of folks that didn't get first in line, that might have fallen through the cracks.”
Sununu continued, “We put forth a $400 million program specifically for small businesses for the basic things, paying rent, keeping the lights on, paying their property taxes, whatever it might be to get through the bump in this economy.”
"In order to ensure that no small business falls through the cracks, similar to what has happened with the Federal PPP program, we are creating a $30 million “Small Business Gap Fund” to be administered by the New Hampshire Business Finance Authority," said Sununu in a tweet last week. "This program will enable the BFA to use expertise and discretion to target relief aid to the most impacted small business. More details on this program will be forthcoming, with a targeted go-live date of after the Main Street Relief Fund grants are awarded starting June 15th."