President Trump’s decision—after consultation with his physician—to take hydroxychloroquine as a preventative measure prompted a chorus criticism from journalists with absolutely no medical backgrounds in their ongoing effort to try to describe the president as reckless, Buck Sexton, the host of“The Buck Sexton Show” said Tuesday.
“All I can tell you is so far I seem to be OK,” Trump told reporters. “I get a lot of tremendously positive news on hydroxy. What do you have to lose?
Sexton said the media was quick to pounce on Trump’s announcement as though the president is some kind of drug pusher.
“The media is always looking for a way to be oppositional to Trump,” he said. “Even when it comes to something like this. Is he not allowed to make decisions about his health? Is he not allowed to say, ‘You know what, I’ve decided to take it upon myself to take this because I want to be as safe as possible for the American people.'”
The Associated Press reported that the president opted to take the drug after two staffers tested positive for the coronavirus. The drug is unproven and Trump said the White House doctor did not recommend the drug, he requested it.
Dr. Sean Conley, Trump’s doctor, said that he had “numerous” discussions with the president about the malaria drug that has serious side effects. He said, “we concluded the potential benefits from treatment outweighed the relative risks.”
Stephen Hahn, the Food and Drug Administration head, reportedly said that the “decision to take any drug is ultimately a decision between a patient and their doctor.”
Kayleigh McEnany, the White House press secretary, told reporters that the drug has been approved for three uses other than malaria and there is “a lot of information” on the safety of the drug.
“So some of the misreporting on other networks on apoplectic analysis of hydroxychloroquine ignore the fact that tens of millions of people around the world have used this drug for other purposes,” she said.
The New York Times pointed out that early studies showed the drugs could block the coronavirus from attacking cells, but other studies have played down the benefit and mentioned side effects.
“I think it’s a very bad idea to be taking hydroxychloroquine as a preventive medication,”Dr. Eric Topol, a cardiologist and the director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute in California, told the Times. “There are no data to support that, there’s no evidence and in fact there is no compelling evidence to support its use at all at this point.”
Sexton said those in the media “are just losing their minds” over the issue are just simply looking to damage Trump.
“People who have a problem with this are loons,” Sexton said. “They’re just loons.”